Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Our Veteran's Day

We went to the USS ALABAMA this weekend to celebrate Veteran's Day. Gosh, it was just mesmerizing and breathtaking to stand there where so many brave men stood while fighting WWII. Inside the ship there was a huge flag that the battleship flew whenever they were under attack or in battle. We were so blown away by the symbolism and pride that flag represented I didn't even think to take a picture until we were leaving...so we will have to go back for sure!
We also got to visit a submarine, though we didn't get to go inside; it was getting late and JR was REALLY ready to eat....

While we were there we met some boy scouts and found out that each year they get to spend the night on the battle ship! WOW! Also, there was a wedding getting ready to take place-I love weddings so I thought it was so cute for a soldier and his bride to marry on the ship and celebrate in the airplane hanger! Everything looked so lovely; I wanted to take a picture but didn't want to be "that weirdo" either, so I didn't.



Here is a breathtaking statement that was on a plaque inside the USS ALABAMA. I love what it says and means, and the last line makes me so sad, even though it is true. In case you can't read my picture, here is what it says:

Remember
It is the soldier and the sailor
Not the reporter
who has given us freedom of the press

It is the solder and the sailor
Not the poet
Who has given us freedom of speech

It is the soldier and the sailor
Not the campus organizer
Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate

It is the soldier and the sailor
Who salutes the flag
Who serves the flag
Who's coffin is draped by the flag
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

I don't know who wrote it, but gosh, that made me want to cry. Thank you veterans, for all you have given us, still give us, and I am sorry for those who don't realize all you have done and do.





3 comments:

Madeline said...

What a great post. Looks like y'all had a beautiful Veteran's day.
To answer your question about the mei tai. I got it from http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=29240
That would be Oh My Mommy Clementine's Shop on etsy.com It's a really simple mei tai, but I've loved it. She's got some sales going on right now.

Callie said...

Hey there- saw your comment on my blog! I use mostly the BG 3.0s and MotherEase fitteds right now. I like that they are both one size. They are pricey, but if I never have to buy more diapers, then it should be worth it. Have you looked into diaperswappers? Sometimes you can get great deals on used diapers there. Craigslist is also a great place to look. I think Beth may have already put you in touch with our cloth diaper guru... I'm sure she knows way more than me! I'm just a novice too. :)

Anonymous said...

So touching! Everything these people do for us.

And I love the sling.

Nell

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers